Welcome


Feel free to send me your reactions, thoughts, suggestions and questions on my work.

*** Email: KGCottawa@gmail.com

Enjoy,


KGC

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Those Who Were Brave

This poem is one of my favorites; I wrote it in about 4 minutes while at the Foo Fighters concert here in Ottawa a few years back. At the time, I had had a few drinks, and had received a News Alert on my blackberry that Canada had suffered more casualties in Afghanistan. I guess the combination of alcohol, Dave Grohl's dismal crooning (the song was 'Skin and Bones') and the realization that several families and Canada had just forever lost some great men combined to provide me with the right inspiration to pen this.

I have made some small edits over time, but the following is almost identical to what I threw down furiously that night while trying not to forget any of the lines.

1    Protecting the People, protecting their rights
2    We're calling you, Troops; come aid in this fight.
3    We need you to win, else all is lost.
4    We'll pay with your blood, But we'll further the Cause.

5    Come serve your time, for signing upon that line,
6    Come feel the shred, of the enemy's endless lead
7    Come here to die, yet through Death, Live

8    We'll all remember what you came to give.
9    And through Remembrance will the world learn Anew
10  What Hatred, Ignorance, and Evil Men can do.

11  And we'll praise you and rejoice, for the people are saved,
12  And we'll cry and we'll mourn, for Those Who Were Brave.

2 comments: