Welcome


Feel free to send me your reactions, thoughts, suggestions and questions on my work.

*** Email: KGCottawa@gmail.com

Enjoy,


KGC

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Un- titled/orthodox Sonnet

If there's one thing three hour philosophy lectures have taught me, it's that mind-numbing boredom can sometimes be cured with half-hearted attempts to write. I wrote this sonnet while my professor rambled on about the 'Many Worlds Theory' for the third consecutive period.

There were a bunch of comments on my other website as well as some messages sent to me, and they all dealt with the same few points. So, to avoid confusion up front, I'll clear it up in advance:

1. No, I do not think that poetry is dead, however, I do think that there has been a huge drop in the popularity and general respect for poetry as an artform.
2. Yes, I am being jovial and not utterly serious when talking about myself; i'm not seriously suggesting that this half-assed sonnet will trigger the rebirth of poetry. I was more aiming for a lighthearted piece somewhat similar to Robert Frost's, "The Oven Bird".
3. To those who commented on the rhyming patterns in this poem (and "Fall In Ottawa"), saying that they found some unorthodox or 'off-sounding', I can only answer with the following:

"IM RICK JAMES!"


---

Untitled Sonnet

[A]  1   When I awoke this morning,
[B]  2   A surprise waiting there was for me
[C]  3   I heard the News claim that poetry had died,

[A]  4   And from now on there was only prose; how boring!
[B]  5   I set about to rectify this matter immediately,
[C]  6   To prove to the world that the news had lied.

[C]  7   Unfortunately my poem had much hubris it could not hide;
[C]  8   It was predominantly a production of a lowly poet's pride!

[D]  9   But my only goal was to aid poetry Live,
[D]  10   And only a small contribution did I give

[E]  11   But my hope is that it creates the first crack in the Wall,
[E]  12   And that the Barrier may be breached by any and all,

[F]   13   So former poets and writers; both published and unknown,
[F]   14   Come back and create; from your roots shall Poetry again be grown,

[G]  15   And perhaps I shall wake one day in the future and learn,
[G]  16   That in the rebirth of Poetry, some well-deserved recognition I did earn!


KGC

1 comment:

  1. It has a nice rythum, with simple meaning.
    I like it!

    ReplyDelete